In a previous video, I went over how I like to refresh with DevaCurl’s Ultra Defining Gel for awesome hold and bounce for my 2c/3a curly hair. I recently discovered that I can get not only hold, but also great definition if I combined two of DevaCurl’s famed products together: the Ultra Defining Gel and Styling Cream.
This winning combination can’t be missed with all the shine and texture achieved. Watch the video for a tutorial or read below for instructions on how to get this look.
Start Your Healthy Hair Journey
Take my hair care quiz to receive personalized product recommendations based on your hair care needs.
WANT TO GET THE BEST CURLY HAIR HOLD & DEFINITION? HERE’S HOW:
- Start with freshly washed hair. I like to clarify and moisturize my hair using Kinky Curly Come Clean shampoo. Use whichever conditioner you prefer to give your hair extra moisture as needed.
- After the wash, finger rake in a dollop (or more depending on your hair length) of Devacurl One Condition Delight as a leave in conditioner. Depending on your moisture needs, you might need to use DevaCurl One Condition Original or Decadence instead.
- Next, finger rake in one pump (or more, if your hair is thicker or longer) of Devacurl Styling Cream as a curl definer. Depending on your moisture needs, you might need to use Devacurl Super Cream instead.
- Divide hair into four sections and apply one pump of Devacurl Ultra Defining Gel to each section (four pumps total). Use the praying hands technique and scrunch up to encourage the curl for even product distribution and to get better curl clumps. If the Ultra Gel is too heavy, consider using the Light Defining Gel. If you want less protein, consider using the Arc AnGel.
- Soak up excess water using a 100% cotton t-shirt or a microfiber towel.
- Diffuse hair with cool or warm air on low settings until dry.
And you’re done! Have you tried this styling combination before with Devacurl or other brands? What your favorite product combination so far?