Instagram has always been a source of inspiration and information for me. Since I’m embracing my naturally curly hair more, I’m constantly on the search for brands to follow so that I could learn from experts. Here’s a round-up of 5 brands I discovered from Instagram and their product lines for curly hair that I’m super interested in trying!
Cheeky Curls is a premiere natural hair care company featuring custom formulated products for those with unique waves and curls. Its products help achieve healthy and beautiful hair without using harmful ingredients. Gina, the creator of My Cheeky Curls, is a wife, mom and entrepreneur living with super curly hair. Her sassiness and love for all things creative and out of the box is part of the personality behind the brand. I really love her story on why she founded My Cheeky Curls:
“I didn’t realize the harmful side-effects of unnatural ingredients until I was able to directly connect my Rheumatoid Arthritis symptoms with the chemical ingredients in the hair care products I was using at the time. These were products I loved but could no longer use them without my immune system going haywire. After learning more about RA and the effects of chemicals on my health, I decided to take action and formulate safe products for me and curly girls everywhere.
I’m so proud to be able to say that I’ve successfully created a product line that’s amazingly healthy, effective and so good for you that you’ll truly see a difference like never before! The best part of this journey is being able to share these products and the joys of healthy living with all of you and for that I am so very thankful.”
Ready to define your curls beautifully with the natural products from My Cheeky Curls?
Their product range includes:
- COSMOPOLITAN Curl Whip: blended from 70% organic ingredients such as organic coconut oil, organic jojoba oil and green tea leaf. It’s a fluffy whip that’ll achieve soft, defined and shiny curls without leaving residue or weighed down locks.
- LEMON DROP Curl Custard: a very special ingredient in this custom formulated custard is Blue Agave Extract, known to help permeate each curly strand while quenching it for moisture. You’ll achieve frizz-free, tight curls without having to sacrifice softness. This custard is best for thick, coarse curly hair, especially those within the 3b and above ranges.
- ROSÉ Curl Volumizer: want to rejuvenate waves and curls that need bounce or luster? Just a few sprays of the ROSÉ Curl Volumizer will restore body to your strands. It works quickly and easily, smells divine and is made from organic ingredients including aloe and calendula. This volumizer spray works best on thin, limp or fine hair types.
- Mini Samples: if you travel a lot like me, carrying full sized hair products in your weekender or suitcase isn’t always ideal. The My Cheek Curls team has your back on this one with cute little minis you can order. Each mini kit comes with 1 oz sample sizes of two products you can choose from.
- Cheeky Curls Birthday Sample Box: do you have a curly person in your life with an upcoming birthday? A beautiful handmade Birthday Gift Box set from My Cheeky Curls is the way to go. Custom build this box that’ll contain 2 oz samples of each of their styling aids (COSMOPOLITAN Curl Whip, the Lemon Drop Curl Custard and the ROSÉ Curl Volumizer).
My Cheeky Curls products are free of: parabens, sulfates, silicones, dimethicone, phthalates , paraffin, formaldehyde releasers, propylene glycol, mineral oil, petrolatum, synthetic fragrance, synthetic color, DEA, or animal testing.
Start Your Healthy Hair Journey
View my curly hair resource portal for tutorials, reviews and more information about starting your healthy hair journey.
Bounce Curl is committed to creating products without using harsh chemicals. Their natural ingredients are carefully selected to guarantee excellence in styling, moisturizing and holding beautiful curls. One of my favorite philosophies adopted by Bounce Curl is that beauty is shared. This company recognizes that by its social media feed and blog where advice, news, product reviews and product cocktail suggestions are shared.
The most fascinating thing about the creator of Bounce Curl is that she’s also the formulator, with an education to back it up. The creator of Bounce Curl graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree with a strong focus in Chemistry. In addition to her education, her extensive experience was built through four years working as a product formulator for over 5 different companies in the hair care, skincare, and body supplement industry. Not long after creating her innovative Bounce Curl styling aid, the creator recently expanded the product line into shampoos and conditioners to ensure that clients could use a haircare system confidently knowing each product was formulated especially to work well together and achieve amazing results.
Another very special point to make about the creator’s experiences living with naturally curly hair is that her heritage background played a significant role in how she learned to take great care of her hair. Her experiences using nigella Sativa (black seed oil), that she declares as “a secret Middle Eastern oil,” including her fond memories of going to her backyard to scrape aloe vera out of the plant and boiling flax seeds to use as hair gels, are just a few of the telling stories that exemplify Bounce Curl’s culture of mixology using natural ingredients.
Bounce Curl’s Three-Level Moisture Product System
A very unique approach that Bounce Curl has for their haircare system is their three-level moisture system:
- Light Moisture shampoo “Enzyme Gentle Clarifying Shampoo”
- Medium Moisture Shampoo “Pure Silk Moisturizing Shampoo”
- Extra Moisture Cleanser “Hydra Drench Cleansing Conditioner”
- Required Moisture Conditioner “Super Smooth Conditioner”
The Bounce Curl Light Creme Gel
The holy grail product of Bounce Curl is its light creme gel. It has a lot of raving reviews and seems to be the IT curly hair product that I’ve seen all over social media. It’s a lightweight styling aid infused with extracts of nourishing ingredients such as black seed oil. It’s a dual purpose product that is 80% gel and 20% cream. The light creme gel was formulated to leave your hair feeling weightless while locking your curl shape in for a long time. Best of all, it reduces frizz.
Vitamins, tea blends and sprays for curly hair
Other Bounce Curl products include:
- Vitamins: these are formulated to give your body the proper nutrients to help strengthen the appearance of healthy hair, skin and nails. What sets these vitamins apart from other vitamins is that it has black seed oil, known as Nigella Sativa. Black seed oil helps restore from damage, add shine, and has some anecdotal evidence in giving the appearance of longer, fuller hair. Several other natural ingredients in the vitamins include inostol, choline, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic acid, Zinc, Biotin, and silica. Bounce Curl vitamins are for all hair types and is not limited to curly hair.
- Tea: the creator’s grandmother had a special blend of tea that she fondly remembers drinking regularly. From her childhood memories, Bounce Curl sells a custom blended tea with 3 ingredients: nettle, rosemary, and sage. In ancient times, these ingredients were used give the appearance of long, full-healthy hair, beautiful skin, and support digestive health.
- Fragrance: this is a 100% natural scent with a revitalizing citrus aroma that promotes a sense of well-being that permeates the spirit, mind, and body. The fragrance product is free of any mineral oils, Peg’s, synthetic dyes, parabens, sulfates, or silicones. It is also phthalate free.
- Hair Spray: this alcohol-free spray has a medium-to-strong hold and is best used in humid environments during the summer. The bottle itself has an ultra-fine mister to help distribute the product evenly.
Bounce Curl products are created based on natural plant derived ingredients. Its cleansers and conditioners have none of the following: harsh chemicals, synthetic fragrance, silicones, parabens, sulfates, or DEA/MEA. Bounce Curl is also cruelty free, dairy free, soy free, gluten free and vegan.
Julissa Prado turned her dream of creating products made with quality ingredients that could celebrate all curl types into a reality with Rizos Curls. Throughout her many curly hair phases, she went from hiding it in a tight, gelled-down ponytail, she wore it super crunchy with extra hairspray, and even straightened it with a clothes iron! Even though she saved all her money
to buy every curl product, nothing ever worked for her. Her longtime battle of learning how to care for her curly hair led to the creation of Rizos Curls and her perfect formula for bouncy, shiny, defined, frizz-free, soft, voluminous curls.
Curly Hair Products Worth Trying From Rizos Curls
- Curl Defining Cream: advertised as the one styling product that will be your best friend for styling your curly texture. The Curl Defining Cream will hold and define curls without leaving it crunchy. It’ll promote bouncy, shiny, frizz-free voluminous curls. The Curl Defining Cream is custom formulated with natural ingredients like aloe vera, shea butter and coconut oil.
- Deep Conditioner: if you need a product to strengthen, nourish and deeply moisturize your hair, give Rizos Curls’ Deep Conditioner a try. It promotes hair growth while controlling frizz through its selective ingredients like olive oil, sunflower oil and coconut oil.
- Hydrating Shampoo: get everything you need from one product through the Hydrating Shampoo which will softly cleanse the scalp and hair, treat dry scalp and deeply moisturize and strengthen your hair. This special formulated shampoo features the following natural ingredients: shea butter and moringa oil.
- Travel Kit: if you’re a jetsetter, then you won’t have to worry about traveling without Rizos Curls’ hair care system! The Travel Kit includes two ounce bottles of the Curl Defining Cream Hydrating Shampoo and Deep Conditioner.
- The Rizos Curls System Trio: you can try out the complete Rizos Curls system with the trio kit. It includes all three items at 10 oz sizes.
Rizos Curls is cruelty free.
The Kristen Ess haircare line was created out of a simple idea: to provide an affordable collection of luxury haircare and styling products to help everyone create modern, perfectly-imperfect hair. Kristen Ess’ 22 years of expertise as a top hairstylist, colorist, social influencer and co-founder of thebeautydepartment.com is what sets apart her highly developed range of cleansers, conditioners, dry and wet stylers.
Each product in the Kristin Ess Hair collection is created with lightweight, buildable formulas and designed to either be used alone and integrated into your current haircare routine.
THE KRISTIN ESS PROPRIETARY ZIP-UP TECHNOLOGY™
Each Kristin Ess product is formulated with proprietary Zip-Up Technology™, a strengthening complex, designed to ‘zip up’ split ends and smooth the appearance of damaged cuticles while helping to protect hair from environmental stressors and color fade.
PRODUCTS TO TRY
Kristin Ess has a large product collection to cover, but the ones I felt were relevant to feature for all my curly hair friends include:
- The One Signature Shampoo: this cleansing sulfate-free shampoo will leave hair moisturized and shiny.
- The One Signature Conditioner: this weightless, softening conditioner is for anyone and its formula will leave hair super shiny and smooth. Can be used daily and won’t cause build up.
- Frizz Management Cleansing Conditioner: encouraged to be used specifically curly hair, this cleansing conditioner will battle frizz, humidity and damage. If you’re lacking moisture, work this thoroughly to clean hair and restore moisture without stripping your hair of its natural oils.
- Strand Strengthening Reconstructive Moisture Mask: all curly hair people know that deep conditioners and masks require slip. This moisture mask reverses dryness and is softening and detangling and not heavy at all.
- Extra Gentle Shampoo & Conditioner: for those who have sensitive skin or a sensitive scalp, this extra gentle formula is for you. The sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner system has a subtle fragrance and works to gently and thoroughly cleanse while leaving hair soft, shiny and perfectly clean.
- Weightless Shine Leave-In Conditioner: this spray creates completely weightless shine while detangling strands. Use it to seal in moisture.
- Weightless Shine Air Dry Creme: live the wash-and-go life with this smoothing creme. If your busy lifestyle only gives you time for one product, this should be the one. It’ll separate, add shine and give texture to any hair type for anybody wanting to achieve an effortless, polished look.
- Instant Life Volumizing Mousse: this epic mousse will give volume without any sticky strings attached. If you want a product that’ll give you bouncy hair without leaving any residue, let this mousse be the one.
- Hydrating Curl Defining Creme: Kristen Ess regards this as a “dream cream” for all wave and curl kind. The focus of using this product isn’t so much about hold than it is about adding subtle weight and shine.
Kristin Ess products are cruelty free.
Start Your Healthy Hair Journey
View my curly hair resource portal for tutorials, reviews and more information about starting your healthy hair journey.
The mission of Curlsmith is to “feed the world’s curls.” Curlsmith declares itself as the first gourmet haircare brand specifically created for curls. Its products are inspired by generations of home made hair remedies.
Importantly, Curlsmith sources its rare ingredients from remotes part of the world and closely cooperates with and supports local communities. In addition to how Curlsmith meticulously sources its raw harvested ingredients, the company crafts its product line in collaboration with world-renowned trichologists, curly hairstylists, beauty experts and bloggers.
The Curlsmith Product Collection For Curly Hair
Curlsmith uniquely blends fresh, curl-loving food staples from the kitchen cupboard and marries them with rare organic ingredients to make premium curly hair products. Each product, made in small batches, contains natural fragrances and are deeply nourishing food for curls.
Its product line contains:
- Curl Condtioning Oil-In-Cream: nourish curls while adding moisture and shine with this oil-in cream. It’s a leave-in conditioner meant to be a curl primer in combination with other products. A few very unique ingredients in this product include organic carrot oil, resurrection flower and rare andiroba.
- Curl Defining Styling Souffle: define and enhance curls, eliminate frizz and add bounce with this souffle. It’s perfect for creating flexible wash and go styles and is non-greasy and non-crunchy. Unique handpicked ingredients include indigenous Irish moss for elasticity, babassu oil for moisture, flax seed for defined curls and wild rosemary and sage.
- Hold Me Softly Style Balm: get defined and bouncy curls without the crunch with this vegan balm made of apricot kernel, andiroba, basil and aloe and other good for your curls ingredients.
- Curl Quenching Conditioning Wash: detangle curls while adding moisture, managing frizz and infusing shine with this co-wash. This conditioner has a gentle, lightweight, yet hardworking formula that’ll remove build up while providing slip for detangling. The formula is blended with resurrection flower to retain curl moisture, black pepper oil and torn sage and basil.
- Intense Deep Treatment Oil Serum: maintain elasticity, protect curls from damage and provide ultimate hydration with this oil serum. Formulated to be hard-working and versatile, Curl Smith’s serum will help bring back shine and improve strength while providing silky softness to strands. If your curls are lifeless, dull, brittle or frizzy, give this a try. The serum’s special formula contains macadamia oil to protect against damage and organic apricot oil for ultra hydration.
Curlsmith only uses the best clean ingredients, with no sulphates, parabens, silicones, mineral oils, phthalates or DEA’s. Curlsmith is certified by The Vegan Society and PETA.
Which ones have you tried so far? Which ones are you most curious about? Better yet, which one would you like for me to try and review? Comment below and let me know!